The Dresden Zwinger in the middle of the capital of Saxony is one of the most famous baroque buildings in Germany and next to the Frauenkirche probably the most famous monument in the city of Dresden. It is home to world-renowned museums and is a stage for music and theater events.
Dresdner Zwinger – A place for treasures of world rankings
As magnificent place for courtly festivities Augustus the Strong told his architect Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann to create the Zwinger at the beginning of the 18th century.
The impressive sandstone scenery harbors with their world-famous collections of treasures: In the Gemäldegalerie »Alte Meister« suggests Raphael's Sistine Madonna, visitors under its spell. The incredible number of masterful pieces of Chinese, Japanese and Meissen porcelain in the Porcelain Collection date back to the acquisitiveness of August the Strong. The »Mathematisch-Physikalische Salon«, the oldest museum of the Dresden Zwinger, is today one of the world's most important museums of historical scientific instruments.
History of the Dresden Zwinger
On behalf of the Saxon Elector Augustus the Strong from 1709 a world-famous baroque work of art of architecture, sculpture and painting was created. Started as orangery the Zwinger soon developed into an outstanding place of courtly festivals and representation culture.
The Dresden Zwinger is a baroque work of art with Crown Gate, Nymphs' Bath, pavilions and Semper-building. Where are which parts of the building, please refer to our map.
Museum and Exhibition
Since 1728 the Dresden Zwinger houses valuable collections such as the Porcelain Collection and the Mathematics and Physics Salon. They were later joined by the Semper-building, which is now housing the paintings of the Old Masters. Today the exhibits are maintained by the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden and presented to the public.